Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Adjustable Layngeal Implant

A modifiable laryngeal implant made of titanium has been developed for the treatment of unilateral vocal fold paralysis. The implant includes three parts: a plate that allows fixation to the thyroid cartilage, a block of titanium which includes the adjustable part, and a micrometric screw in the middle of the lateral side of the block, which moves the adjustable part. Defined medialization is accomplished by modifiable the screw which also allow easy secondary adjustments. This retrospective study assesses clinical outcomes of medialization laryngoplasty with the titanium changeable implant, in patients with unilateral vocal fold paralysis. This study has the boundaries of a retrospective study. However, prelude outcome are hopeful. Examination of one-sided responses confirmed marked growth in laryngeal function, speech, and swallowing. The adjustable laryngeal implant has many advantages including: precise medialization, ease of secondary adjustment, and perseveration of the mucosal wave.

Journal of Voice, Volume 15, Issue 1, March 2001, Pages 141-150Carole M. Dean, Christian Ahmarani, Maurice Bettez, Reinhardt J. Heuer

No comments:

Post a Comment

100% Creole & Loving It!!!

My photo
Hi! Welcome to my blog! I'm Shantell Denise Johnson from Louisiana. I've been living in Fayetteville, NC, since Hurricane Katrina. I enjoy traveling, writing poetry, spending time with family and friends. I am a huge collector of dolphins!!! No kids but I do have two god-children, Cameryn (9 yrs old) and Christopher (15 months), and a toy poodle, Cotton. I'm also the proud aunt of 2 sets of twins that are 20 months apart!! (3 boys and 1 girl) Both of my parents are from Louisiana and Creole. I love my Creole Heritage. Being Creole, to me, is like being in a woven basket that holds everything. In this basket is the vessel of passing from one generation to generation. It is from this basket where I seek and give, where my personal crusaders find, nurtures and moves me toward my path of life. It is within this basket that I find wisdom, integrity, dignity, and compassion. From within that basket, I find what it is like to be Creole. “Laisser les bon temps rouler!”

The Bayou State

The Bayou State

New Orleans History

New Orleans History

Followers